How do I get a copy of a person's criminal record?

Many Prosecuting Attorney offices have direct access to computer networks with information about peoples criminal histories. However, the privilege to access that information is limited. One limitation is that we can only search for criminal histories when they are directly related to a law-enforcement need, such as an on-going criminal prosecution. Another is that we cannot give the public copes of criminal history information we uncover because doing so would violate LEIN rules.

However, the Michigan State Police operates the Internet Criminal History Access Tool (ICHAT), from which anyone can search the official MSP criminal history record database for $10 per search, using MasterCard or Visa. (Non-profit, charitable organizations may qualify for free ICHAT searches if criminal history checks are needed on people who work with children or the frail elderly.) For each search, you need the person's full name, sex, race, and date of birth.

ICHAT's criminal history database covers only Michigan convictions, and is updated daily with felony and misdemeanor conviction information provided by law enforcement, prosecuting attorneys and courts throughout the State. Your search includes arrests where a person has been convicted in a court, and where the conviction has been added to that person's criminal history record. It does not include arrests without conviction, outstanding warrants, federal arrests or arrests from other states.

A search for a criminal record from another state requires you to correspond directly with the criminal record repository of that state.

Show All Answers

1. I feel that a crime has been committed. How do I press charges? Can I report directly to the Prosecutor's Office?
2. How do I press counter-charges against someone?
3. I am a victim. Can I drop the charge(s)?
4. Can you tell me if a charge has been issued of if an arrest warrant exists?
5. How do I get my property back?
6. Where do I get court forms?
7. How do I get a copy of a police report?
8. How do I get a copy of a person's criminal record?
9. How can I get help if a defendant is not paying court-ordered restitution?
10. I was a victim of a violent crime. How can the Prosecuting Attorney help me with my medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, etc?
11. Can the Prosecuting Attorney help me if I have been cheated by a contractor, shopkeeper or other person who provides labor or services?
12. I have been subpoenaed to appear as a witness in a criminal case. Can I get witness fees? What if I can't attend on the date stated on the subpoena?
13. Can I talk to Andrea Krause? I think she's the person who is working on my case since her name appears on my court documents.
14. How do I get a court-appointed attorney?
15. I am a defendant and do not like the attorney who is representing me. Can I talk to a Prosecuting Attorney about my case?
16. Why are some cases plea bargained?
17. I want a divorce and need help getting child support. Can the Prosecutor's office help me?
18. What if I have a question which is not answered in your FAQs?