Victim / Witness Services

The Victim / Witness Unit provides the rights of victims of crime as established by the Crime Victims Rights Act P.A. 87 of 1985. When a victim requests their rights, Victim Advocate services can include:

  • Notifying victims of any scheduled court proceedings,
  • Updating victims on case status and any known change in court dates,
  • Accompanying and supporting victims in court,
  • Providing court orientation,
  • Explaining the court process and procedures,
  • Providing privacy prior to court appearance,
  • Helping with the return of personal property,
  • Assisting victims with Victim Impact Statements,
  • Employer intervention,
  • Providing information and assistance in filing an application (PDF) for Crime Victim Compensation (PDF),
  • Providing information and referrals for community services,
  • Act as liaison between the victim and other criminal justice agencies such as the police, courts, and probation department.


Inmate Status & Post-Conviction Status

To obtain information on inmate status and post-conviction status, contact the following agency:
Montcalm County Jail
649 N State Street
Stanton, MI 48888
Phone: 989-831-7592

Post-Conviction Status

For information on post conviction status, contact the following agency:
Michigan Department of Corrections
Crime Victim Notification Unit
Grandview Plaza Building
P.O. Box 30003
206 E Michigan Avenue
Lansing, MI 48909
Phone: 517-373-4467
Toll-free: 877-866-5401

Written request of the victim is required to receive notification of a prisoner's status during their incarceration.

To obtain information on an offenders status through the Michigan Department of Corrections online, search the Offenders Tracking Information System.

Michigan VINE service (MI-VINE)
Toll-free: 800-770-7657

VINELink is the online version of VINE (Victim Information and Notification Everyday), the National Victim Notification Network. This service allows crime victims to obtain information about criminal cases and the custody status of offenders 24 hours a day, in English and in Spanish. Victims and other concerned citizens can register to be notified by phone, email or TTY device when an offender's custody status changes. Search by selecting the State you are interested in, clicking on the Find an Offender or Find an Offender Court Case. Enter case ID or offenders name, click on the offender's name, then register for notification to receive automated calls, emails, or TTY notification. The PIN (Personal Identification Number) must be remembered to confirm calls from the automated services and to stop repeated calls. Users can also register through the Michigan State's toll-free number 800-770-7657.

For more information please search Michigan Department of Health and Human Services - Crime Victim Services.