Sheriff's Office Records

For all records, you will need to submit a FOIA (Freedom of Information) request.

Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) Requests

The Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) regulates and sets requirements for the disclosure of public records by public bodies within the State of Michigan. A public record is a writing which is prepared, owned, used, in possession of or retained by a public body in the performance of an official function from the time it is created and as otherwise defined by the Act.

The Montcalm County Board of Commissioners has adopted the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) Procedures and Guidelines (PDF) that identifies the procedure that County officers and employees are to follow when processing a request. The County has also drafted a Written Public Summary of FOIA Procedures and Guidelines (PDF), which is a summarized, shortened version, of the Procedures and Guidelines document.

To assist with the processing of your FOIA request, please use the Freedom of Information Act Request Form (PDF). FOIA requests may be submitted by mail, hand delivery, fax or email and should be directed to the following:

Via U.S. Post Office

County of Montcalm
FOIA Coordinator
P.O. Box 368
Stanton, MI 48888

Hand Delivery

  • Office of the County Controller
    Third Floor
    Administration Building
    211 W Main Street
    Stanton, MI
  • Via fax: 989-831-7375
  • Via email

To obtain a paper copy of the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) Procedures and Guidelines, Written Public Summary of FOIA Procedures and Guidelines or the Freedom of Information Act Request Form, visit the Office of the County Controller, located on the Third Floor of the Administration Building, 211 W Main Street, Stanton or call 989-831-7300. Office hours are Monday through Friday 8 am to 4:00 pm.

Copies of Accident Reports

Traffic Accident Reports are $10 and can be obtained at CrashDocs.

You should have received a card from the responding Deputy which has your accident date and police report number. You will need this information in order to obtain a copy of the report. If you were not provided this information or no longer have this information, you may contact our office at 989-831-7590.