Building Department


The Montcalm County Building Department was established in 1974 and today consists of 4 full-time employees and 3 part-time employees. The Building Department is responsible for enforcement of the State Construction Code Act of 1972. The State of Michigan mandates that a nationally recognized code shall be enforced throughout the State.

The purpose of this office is to administer the state construction code. It provides building code enforcement in those parts of the county where townships and cities do not provide their own enforcement.

Information Required to Obtain Building Permits 

PLANS – (blueprints or drawings) - Plans shall have enough detail to allow a builder to completely construct the project.  All plans shall show the type and detail of foundation, lumber size, and spacing (floor joist, wall studs, etc.), roof construction (rafter/truss details, hips, valleys, etc.) window and door locations and size.  A minimum of a site plan (show all buildings on property and distances from property lines), foundation plan, floor plan, and an elevation plan are required.  A copy of the plans shall be retained by the Building Department.  Commercial plans shall be signed and sealed by a registered architect or engineer.
Documents & plans can be emailed to the Building Department

The Building Department issues Building, Electrical, Plumbing, and Mechanical Permits from this office along with providing the public with basic construction information and assistance in obtaining the required permits. The citizens and contractors of Montcalm County are fortunate to have one department that provides service to all 20 townships in the county. We also assist the City of Greenville by issuing Electrical, Plumbing, and Mechanical Permits for their jurisdiction.  The City of Greenville issues its own Building Permits.

Trades Inspectors

All inspectors have regularly scheduled times that they are available in the office to answer questions before going into the field to perform inspections. The inspectors for Montcalm County have nearly 200 years of combined experience to ensure the quality of service Montcalm County deserves. The Montcalm County Building Department is proud to offer what we feel is the best service available in West Michigan to our residents and builders throughout the county and surrounding areas. We strongly recommend that anyone considering a construction project of any size, large or small, contact the Building Department ahead of time. We will assist you in any way we can to help you through the sometimes confusing and complicated process of obtaining all of the necessary permits and documents to complete a project. One phone call can simplify the process and help to make your project a success.


Is the building or structure used for an agricultural purpose?  Defined as: pertaining to, or connected with, or engaged in agricultural tillage which is characterized by the act or business of cultivating or using land and soil for the production of crops for the use of animals, or humans, and includes, farming, dairying, pasturage, horticulture, floriculture, viticulture, and animal and poultry husbandry.

    A building permit is not required for a building incidental to the use for agricultural purposes of the land on which the building is located if it is not used in the business of retail. 

Look at the following questions:

  1. Are you zoned Agricultural?
  2. Do you have an Agricultural ID number for the state tax exemption?
  3. Does 50% of your income come from your agricultural business?

If you answered no to any of these questions you do not meet the requirements for an agricultural exemption on your building.                                     

Zoning approval is required in zoned townships.

An agricultural exemption application MUST be submitted to this office for review.                                 Agriculture Exempt Application (PDF)


Montcalm County Department of Building Safety is also the enforcing agent for SESC in Montcalm County.

SESC Inspectors

SESC Forms


Bureau of Construction Codes (BCC) & Montcalm County Construction Ordinance

Montcalm Assessors

General Construction Information & Web Sites

Basic Code Requirements

MISS DIGG 811 Guide

Permit Applications & Forms - Construction Ordinance Documentation

(Applications & forms can be emailed to: