Starting an Adult Adoption

Documents Required

Please note you must have all required documents completed before filing with the Court.

Certified copies (containing the raised seal) of the following documents:

  • Adoptee's Birth Certificate
  • Marriage license for petitioners
  • Judgment of Divorce for petitioners' previous marriages, if any
  • Death Certificate for any deceased parent, if any

Other Requirements

  • Petitioner or adult adoptee must be a resident of Montcalm County for not less than one year prior to the date of filing
  • Petitioners must be married for at least one year prior to the date of filing
  • The adoptee must be present at the hearing to give consent to the adoption


It is recommended that the documentation be brought to the Juvenile Court office by the petitioner for filing. Filings may be completed by mail, however, there may be a delay if your documents are not complete or correct.

Keep copies of all documents filed with the court for your records. Copies obtained from the court are $1 per page.